Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Coaching for Success

Many people have asked me what I do as a Lifestyle Wellness Coach, so I decided to focus this article on lifestyle coaching. Each coach has a unique approach they take with their clients. My passion as a coach is to help people develop a healthy lifestyle which incorporates; spirit, mind and body.
Wellness coaches are trained to look at the bigger picture of wellbeing, as well as life issues that impact health issues. Most of the clients I see come to me for guidance on weight-loss. Of course, there are many reasons why people are overweight and throughout the coaching process these are usually revealed.
Here are some ways I help my clients achieve their goals:
• Accountability – This is the foundation of what coaching encompasses. Statistics have shown if you share your goals with someone you will be twice as likely to complete them because you know you are being held responsible.
• Education – I educate my clients on leading healthy lifestyles; guiding them to develop new behaviors, and become more knowledgeable on nutrition and exercise.
• Motivation – I stir people to accomplish more than they could do on their own. When you have a coach encouraging and praising you on even small accomplishments, this stirs up a person to want to achieve even more!
The coaching relationship is uniquely different than a counselor or therapist relationship, because the focus is on what your clients want to achieve, and how the coaching partnership can enable them to reach their goals. A therapist works to understand how the past is affecting and influencing the present to help heal wounds or resolve problems.
For me, the biggest part of coaching is developing a relationship with my client so they feel they can trust I have their best interest in mind. If this trust is developed then they will allow me to help them move on to achieving a healthy lifestyle.
Right thinking is the first step toward a better life. If you are stuck in a rut and can’t seem to move on, then this may be a time to ask a coach for help. We are creatures of habit and it takes a lot of determination to change. It also takes a little help from someone who has the expertise and knowledge to help you recognize what’s holding you back. Don’t throw up your hands and give up! Reach out and allow someone to help you.

1 comment:

  1. This is one of my articles that I wrote for a local newspaper called the Reporter Times. I write a weekly column.

    ReplyDelete