Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Don’t Sabotage Your Efforts!

How many of us allow ourselves or others to talk us out of something we have set our minds to do? I have found this is one of the main reasons many of my clients don’t succeed at reaching their health and fitness goals. Not only have them convinced themselves it is too hard, they have allowed others to convince them as well.
One of the ways I help my clients reach their goals is by helping them develop SMART goals. SMART stands for: Specific, Measurable, Action-based, Realistic and Time-line.
• Be specific about the details of your goals, for instance; how and when you hope to accomplish them.
• Measurable so that success can be determined.
• Action-based (behaviors) break down your vision into behaviors you will be doing on a consistent basis.
• Realistic – if your goal is realistic you are more apt to accomplish it. Being successful at achieving one goal will build your self-confidence to move on to further goals.
• Time-line – set a time when you want to accomplish your goals and don’t get discouraged if you don’t make it. Sometimes you have to readjust the goals, but it helps to have a time to aim for.

Keep yourself focused by looking over your progress. Hold yourself accountable and find a coach or friend to also help. Make sure you find someone who will encourage you and not discourage you. So many times clients are excited and ready to change their lifestyle until someone comes along who plants a seed of doubt into them.
Throw away your “excuse bag.” One of the reasons people feel badly about themselves is because they don’t finish what they start. They miss out on tasting the joy of victory because they don’t press pass the challenges that arise.
These are some of the excuses I often hear: “that’s just too hard, I don’t have enough time, I don’t feel like it, I’m afraid, I don’t know how to do that.” I could go on but the list would take too long to write!
Life will throw you many twists and turns but that doesn’t mean you have to give up on your dreams. One thing I tell my clients is; you will only fail if you give up. Instead of looking at the circumstances and thinking this is impossible, keep your eye on the goal set before you, take one day at a time, and most importantly keep pressing on!

No comments:

Post a Comment